International Women's Day originated in the early 20th century by labor movements to honor women. In 1977 the United Nations proclaimed March 8th as the official UN holiday for women's rights and world peace. It is a global day of celebration for women's social, economic, cultural and political achievements.
At S'eau Prima, IWD is an important holiday for us, and over the last few years we have created a personal tradition of celebrating the day with a growing group of women. We are excited to memorialize our launch on this symbolic day, as it embodies our values and commitment as a brand and founders.
Each year International Women's Day has a theme, and this year's theme is #BreaktheBias.
"Imagine a gender-equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination. A world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women's equality. Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias".
We know that women can be an unstoppable force for change and progress when we come together. We have compiled a list of ways to participate and raise awareness, and we mark this inspirational day for women alongside you in heart and spirit.
Ways to participate (year-round).
- Host an event on the day and hold space for the women in your life. It doesn't have to be big or fancy, just a way to connect and share.
- Support and donate to organizations that contribute to women's rights.
- Create art, make playlists, and curate resources that inspire others to tap into their activism and share through social media channels.
- Encourage women and men to engage in discussions and activations to improve women's lives. Gift the book Feminism is for Everybody by Bell Hooks.
- Stand united with women around the world and in under-represented populations and bring attention to their causes.
For more ways to engage, the International Women's Day website has additional information, assets and helpful guidelines you can find here.